Wednesday, November 03, 2004

 

I Believe in Redemption

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional

Ok, I haven't got time for the rage, so to speak. I believe in redemption and while Mr. Bush has a long way to go in my book, I certainly hope that he takes some steps to heal the nation. First, the political season may have constrainded Bush from admitting mistakes on the iraqi front or firing people like Rumsfeld for example. While I may not agree with Mr. Bush's approach to a lot of issues, and I mourn some of the fear mongering by his sorrogates, I know, like Mr. Kerry he wants to make the U.S. a better place. (although 'better' is clearly subjective!). Leadership requires more than just scaring people about those who are different, it requires implementing policies that actually move the nation forward. The Republican's long term success will depend upon that and I'll support efforts that move us forward. But as we've seen in the last few years, even with a majority in both chambers, their worst enemey seems to be themselves. Reflexive animosity isn't in any of our interests right now and neither is blind faith.

Comments:
Bronson,

Since you're looking for work, maybe you can be appointed head of one of the re-education camps. You know the khmer rouge set them up and evacuated cities to help heal their "contaminated inhabitants". Just because I have doubts about Bush, doesn't make me opposed to supporting real Republican initiatives like controlling spending, holding government agencies accountable for their actions and believing in respect for individuals and minority rights. In fact, I thought the posting you commented on was rather magnanonous, leaving room for support of a president whose adherence to traditional republican issues is somewhat doubtful in my mind.

If you wish to be a sore winner, that's great, but I'm hoping the President will succeed in Iraq, will get things like social security fixed and working with congress will try to curb out of control federal spending. The track record of the GOP majority in the last few years does not give me hope. I have and will step up to the plate on these issues, but unlike you dear Bronson, I'm not willing to pick a particular person over the principle. It was a clear victory for Mr. Bush, and Mr. Kerry was honorable in his defeat. But challenges remain, a majority of americans are still not happy with the direction of the country, the budget deficits continue to soar and despite the success of the many ballot initiatives to protect traditional marriage - divorce will still end half of all marriages.

Thanks for stopping by and for your input, next time I have lunch with Ed Gillispe, I'll share your comments with him. On a more serious note though, I am sure there are many things that you and I would agree on, why not focus on them as we move forward as a country, rather than than focusing on jibs and jabs?

As always, it's great to know your still out there. I hope all is going well for you at school and your family is well.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives