Saturday, December 11, 2004

 

The Resurrection of Irony

Wal-Mart Sued Over Evanescence Lyrics

It's official folks. The great age of "Relearning" and moral values has had the indirect result of ushering in a new age of irony. First we had the minister who stood next to the President and said he shares the President's values in the culture war. The next day he was arrested for sexually assaulting a minor. Now we have this.

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which promotes itself as a seller of clean music, deceived customers by stocking compact discs by the rock group Evanescence that contain the f-word, a lawsuit claims."

Evanescence?! They're a catchy, albeit way-cheesy metal/gothish band. Elephant even considered buying their first album, but it wasn't available on I-tunes, and I came to my senses. But please people. I mean at least when I was a youngin' we did controversy right with NWA and naked Madonna kissing other women in her videos.

I'm no fan of Wal-Mart. Not for any ideological reasons, It's just a little too down market for me. In this Red-State, Blue-State country, I guess I'm more of a target person. But seriously, I don't know what to think of on this. Wal-Mart, for it's clean music policy kind of is getting what it deserves, on the other hand, the music industry is soo trashy that I somewhat feel for the parents. (not a whole lot, but somewhat).

Welcome to the 'new' normal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56634-2004Dec10.html

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives