Tuesday, October 26, 2004

 

Stream of Consciousness Posting from ATL Airport: Are We There Yet Edition

Atlanta Airport Doesn’t Have WiFi?!

It seems that all my friends who work in the tech industry spend a good deal of time in Atlanta. As a large, regional commercial city it makes sense. Atlanta airport is also always competing with O’Hare for the title of busiest airport in the world. So, it’s kind of shocking that while I sit and wait for my flight, there’s no wireless internet access for me to post my rantings in real time. How spoiled am I?


The Crazy Business of Flying

Ok, so I finish my speech this morning and get back to the airport early. Although I’m scheduled on a 4:30 pm flight, I opt to get on a 3:30 pm flight, which I am assured has space available. So I get to the gate to get a seat assignment only to find out I’ve been bumped back to my original 4:30pm flight. Ironically, they pay me $250 for putting me back on the flight I was going to take anyway. No surprise, I guess, that even with every seat filled, the airlines are loosing money faster than a republican congress. I’m not complaining mind you, the Delta folks are most gracious, it’s just odd that they’d put me on a full flight to begin with.


The Election

Before I spoke today, I was talking with some Atlantian’s about the election. One of them informed me that they’d released poll results from those who have voted early here in Georgia. If he’s right, that seems so odd as it could arguably alter the outcome of the election as folks say…�Oh, Bush is so far ahead he doesn’t need my vote.� Also what’s interesting is that the alleged early voting results to date are Bush 50% Kerry47%, you’d expect a much larger margin in a red state like Georgia, but then who the heck knows the make up of the early voters.

Early Voting

Another thing that’s very surprising is on the local news and in the papers here there is story after story about long lines to vote early. Heavy turn out and it’s not even election day. Regardless of my feelings about either candidate, it’s nice to see people engaged in the process. After all, we in Washington, DC are supposed to be working to you.

Cell Phones

Can you hear me now! What is it about people and cell phones? Is it really necessary the power up and start calling everyone you know as soon as the plane lands? Every flight, it’s the same thing….�Hey Bob!� they say in a way too loud voice, “Yeah, we just landed, we’re not at the gate yet.� Duh! Of course this trend is not as disturbing as the increasing frequency of finding people chatting away while using public restrooms. Is it just me?

I feel like Larry King

Wow, I’ve babbled on quite extensively here. I feel like Larry King, in fact I hear his voice as I type these words. You know what I’m talking about…Larry will ask a guest a tough question…�So, Mr. President, did you or did you not have an affair with ‘that’ woman?� then follow it up with something completely off the wall like “I like watermelon, don’t you?� Perhaps that’s another effect of being stuck in an airport.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives