Monday, July 05, 2004

 

Summer Reading

Geesh, Elephant is so used to ordering books from Amazon.com that he forgot how hard it can be to find a book in an actual bookstore. In my aimless wandering around the city this weekend, I've been searching for a book titled, "The Future and It's Enemies" by Virginia Postrel. Four book stores later, I got my copy!

I've only read the back jacket, but I'm dying for some down time to peruse this baby. Postrel basically looks at how people adapt to the creative evolution of our society by creating a continuum anchored by those advocating stasis (everything is good, let's keep everything the same) and those advocating dynamic change (We can do better). What will be interesting to see is if the author examines how people cross over from one category to another on different issues. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Postrel's theories synthesize with the recently hot "The Rise of the Creative Class" by Richard Florida.

A full, and hopefully interesting report is forthcoming.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0684862697/ref=sib_dp_rdr/104-5053364-0129544#reader-page

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives