Monday, April 03, 2006

 

John McCain

A False Moderate...

John McCain isn't even running for President yet, and my former favorite candidate back in 2000 has already lost my vote. He's setting himself up to be the John Kerry of the right.


McCain in 2000

"Gov. Bush swung far to the right and sought out the base support of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. Those aren’t the ideas that I think are good for
the Republican Party. "

McCain yesterday

RUSSERT: Do you think that Jerry Falwell’s ideas are now good for the Republican Party?

MCCAIN: I believe that the “Christian Right” has a major role to play in the Republican Party. One reason is because they’re so active and their followers are. And I believe they have a right to be a part of our party. I don’t have to agree with everything they stand for, nor do I have to agree with everything that’s on the liberal side of the Republican Party. If we have to agree on every issue, we’re not a Republican Party. I believe in open and honest debate. Was I unhappy in the year 2000 that I lost the primary and there were some attacks on me that I thought was unfair? Of course. Should I get over it? Should I serve — can I serve the people of Arizona best by looking back in anger or moving forward?

RUSSERT: Do you believe that Jerry Falwell is still an agent of intolerance?

MCCAIN: No, I don’t. I think that Jerry Falwell can explain how his views on this program when you have him on.



Now, my issue isn't with the so-called religious right. I don't agree with them on any issue and they are pretty much trashing Christianity for profit and power. But they have a right to participate in the process. My problem is that there are already candidates out there is great conservative records that I'd consider voting for - like George Allen of Viringia. George is what he is, he's conservative and doesn't pretend to be a moderate. He's a much better potential presidentail contender than McCain as he's generally been true to his ideology. McCain is already starting to flip-flop, and doing so to please the very people that in 2000 called him a traitor and a fag.

What does that say about John McCain?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives