Friday, September 30, 2005

 

The Future


Much more boring than expected...yet strangely fascinating

Yesterday while I was in my normal trance like state on the metro, I was thinking about the future. Not the future-future, but the current future, today..or at least what I thought today would be like when it was yesterday...and by yesterday I mean 1982 or so.

Well, many aspects are more than I could have dreamed would be true. I have a job a love. I share my life with some pretty amazing people. I'm fortunate enough to be able to travel, etc.
On the other hand, I'm still waiting for hover cars and I know that Midgie is still dying for her jet pack. But we do have our cell phones (So very Captain Kirk like...though more annoying than expected) and our wonderful Jetson's like super large flat panel televisions (though programming on television sucks)...so more or less somewhat fascinating, yet still kind of blandish.

But what struck me as very much in the tone of the future this week, a kind of Jacob's Ladder version of the future, is that I keep hearing little sound bites off the radio about plans to 'repopulate New Orleans' and I remember that oh yes, it was destroyed....which of course is very mad max and all. I keep waiting for someone to start training apes to be butlers and such, then I'll know for sure that the future is here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives